Thursday, May 6, 2021

Thursday, 5/6

 I'm bummed a little. But I totally understand.

Another big Marquette summer event has bitten the dust, at least for this year. Art on the Rocks has joined the Hiawatha Music Festival in postponing their event for the second July in a row. I can't blame them one bit; after all, trying to pull off an event safely, even as we're trying to get back to normal, is a daunting task.

Trust me. I know that first hand.

I think it's going to be a strange summer around here, with some events—like Art on the Rocks and Hiawatha—not going on, but with plans still in place for things like the Blueberry Festival and the Lake Superior Theater and Ore to Shore. I know some people will feel comfortable attending them and others won't, but knowing the organizers of the events I know they're doing everything possible to make sure everyone has fun.

And stays safe.

I know about all this because four weeks from yesterday I'm suppose to give the first walking tour in almost two years for the Marquette Regional History Center. We're still in the process of deciding how many people to allow, whether or not they should be masked, and how we're going to fit them all up & down the narrow sidewalks of Third Street in Marquette.

Personally, I have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't be surprised if five people showed up. I also wouldn't be surprised if 200 people showed up. After all, I know some people are clamoring for things to do as we're slowly crawling out of this whole mess. I also know that there are many people who are still a little skittish as we're slowly crawling out of this whole mess. I respect how both of those groups are feeling.

We'll just have to see how it turns out.

So if you're not doing anything June 2nd and you feel comfortable in doing so, join us for our little Third Street stroll. If not, that's cool. You could always pick up the documentary I made of the whole thing last year when we couldn't have the walking tour. Either way works for me.

And, while you're at it, keep your fingers crossed that by next summer we're back to our normal, jam-packed local summer schedule.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment