Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Tuesday, 4/6

 I'll be the first to admit—I had a little trouble concentrating yesterday.

It wasn't because it was Monday. It wasn't because of a chocolate Easter bunny hangover. It wasn't even because it was First Contact Day. Nope; I had trouble concentrating for the same reason I'm guessing several people around here may have had trouble concentrating--

It was sunny & 73 degrees outside.

If I had known it was going to be that nice outside, I definitely would have taken the day off to go play outside. Unfortunately, I didn't, which means that every time I heard a weather forecast on the air or looked outside a window all I could think about was the sun and the heat and how I wasn't out in it.

Thankfully, I work in radio and not in something important, like brain surgery. I'd hate to think what I would've been like yesterday if I was a brain surgeon.

In all honesty, I'm probably like this every year when it hits 70 for the first time. And, in all honesty, I probably shouldn't have been, at least this year., As I've written about (probably too much) in here, we've had a very mild winter. It was 60 degrees on days when it had no businesses being 60 degrees. So it's not like I've gone stir-crazy or haven't seen nice weather for five or six months. I have.

Why yesterday was different, at least in my little pea brain, I have no idea.

And it's not like yesterday was the only 70 degree day we'll be having for the foreseeable future. There will be plenty of them, many nicer than what we just went through (and, if this was the only 70 degree day of the year; well, that's a MUCH bigger problem than my lack of concentration). So I don't know why I acted the way I did. There was just something calling to me, I guess, a beckoning of better days to come.

And I guess I was just a little bummed that I couldn't answer it.

No worries; like I said, I'm sure there will be many other days when I'll know ahead of time that I really shouldn't be at work. That way, if I do need to concentrate, it'll just be concentrating on grains of sand under my foot as I'm walking along the beach.

Because that's the best kind of concentrating you can do. Especially when it's sunny & 73 degrees.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment