Friday, April 23, 2021

Friday, 4/23

 It's Friday. I'm really going to smell by the end of the day.

It's funny, too, because Fridays are the only days I smell by the end of the day. It's not because of any personal hygiene habits, or some strange vortex in the space-time continuum. You wanna know why I smell at the end of work each and every Friday?

I smell at the end of work each and every Friday because of the Marquette Elks Club.

Seriously. The Elks Club is next door to the station, and they have their fish fry each and every Friday. From what some people have told me, it's one of the better and more popular fish frys in the area, and they end up frying a lot of fish. It usually begins a little before four, and I can almost set my watch (even though I don't wear one) to it.

For some reason, even though our buildings aren't physically connected (there's a four or five foot gap between them) the smell of the oil in which they fry their fish permeates the studio. I have no idea how or no idea why, but by the time I get home from work on some Fridays my clothes smell like they belong to someone who's been working over the fry machine at a fast food restaurant all day. Even Loraine notices it and, on occasion, makes me change my shirt before I give her a hug.

That's how bad it can be.

Like I said, I have no idea why it gets into our building. And it only started a few months ago. Before that, the only way I knew they had a fish fry was by all the cars parked around the building when I walked home from work on Fridays. So what's changed?

Well, my first thought was that their kitchen exhaust might be near the air intake for our HVAC system, but I've shut it off several Fridays and was still treated to the odor of hot grease in the air. I've gone outside to try & smell exactly where it's coming in, but with no luck. It doesn't actually smell that bad outside, and why the odor gets so concentrated when it enters our building is a mystery to me. I don't know that much about construction or about fluid mechanics, so I'm stumped.

All I know is that I often smell like a fish fry at the end of the day.

I'll have to do a little more recon today and see if any more clues as to why this pop up. And if I don't find those clues, maybe I'll just chalk it up to it being the 16th month of 2020. A lot of weird things have been happening recently, after all. Why shouldn't me smelling like a fish fry each & every Friday be one of them?

Have yourself a great (and grease-free) weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment