Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Wednesday, 9/12


Three final thoughts about this year's jaunt to Germany, if you'll indulge me.

Firstly, I came away from the trip with the impression that I should be a LOT more confident with my ability to speak French than I was before. How, you ask? Well, I answer, I just spent 12 days in a country where I don't speak the language. Aside from a few simple phrases, I had no idea how to ask questions or converse with people, instead relying on the fact that most Germans speak at least passable English (which is really not the way to do it). Yet if you were stick me in the same situation in France (or Belgium), I would have no difficulty in at least getting my point across.

It's weird. It took a visit to a country where I don't speak the language to show me that my ability in a language I do (kind of) speak isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was.

Weird.

Secondly, Germany (like us) is going through an election season right now. They're electing representatives for the parliament of their local Lander, or state. So all around Bavaria you see signs like these--



But that's all you see. Because of German election laws you don't see negative TV commercials, stealth campaign ads paid for by dark money, or any of the things that often turn the American electorate off. You see these signs everywhere, telling you the candidate's name & their party, or just the party itself (in the picture above The Green Party), and a short little message. And they can only go up a few weeks before the vote. That's it. No never-ending campaign, no months-long primaries, no nothing.

Wouldn't that be nice? I mean, I know it'll never happen here, but a boy can dream, right?

Finally, I brought a book or two while over there, but I never got around to reading them. One reason was that I was just too busy. The other is that Loraine had me read a book she herself brought, a book that broke my heart not once but twice. It's an eighty year old book by Willa Cather called “Lucy Gayheart”. Loraine brought it because it tangentially involves Germany and opera, and she pretty much finished it during our four hour wait at Sawyer the first day while O'Hare was dealing with thunderstorms.

I'm usually not in the business of eighty year old books, but I'm glad Loraine told me to read it. Some of you may be familiar with it, but if you're not. there are two moments in the book that just make you (or at least me) shout out in a strange combination of pain and amazement. The ending of the book, as well, leaves you kind of haunted.

I know; doesn't sound like light reading for a vacation, does it? But like I said, I read it because it was kind of related to what we were doing, and I'm glad I did. I recommend it, if you ever come across it.

Just be prepared to have your heart broken at least twice during the read.


No comments:

Post a Comment