Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuesday, 5/22


I know this may be shocking to some, akin to hell freezing over or the Detroit Lions going to the Super Bowl, but I think I've made a discovery--

I think there may be a kind of chocolate I don't especially like.

Stunning, isn't it?

And to be factually accurate, it would be the second kind of chocolate I've discovered I don't especially like. The first was a dark chocolate/black currant bar I picked up in Berlin five years ago. I wasn't too sure about it when I bought it, as I've never been a big fan of black currants, even though Germans seem to love them. So I wasn't too surprised when I found that bar a little too bitter for my tastes. But I kinda thought I might like this new bar I picked up in Belgium last year a little better.

Sadly, I was wrong.

The bar in question?



It's a 70% part with mint & lime.(citron verte). It's basically a chocolate bar version of a mojito, and when I bought it I figured it would be interesting. I mean, I like chocolate, I like mint, and I like limes. What could go wrong, right?

Well, sad to say, it just didn't do it for me. I mean, I didn't find it as unappetizing as the black currant bar, but it still didn't live up to my expectations. The lime and the mint flavors were each a bit too strong, and I think Loraine hit it on the head when I gave her a bite—those two strong flavors are basically the only things you can taste. You can't even tell there's chocolate in there. Sure; there's the mouth feel of chocolate when you're eating it, but but you really can't taste the chocolate over the mint & the lime. And since Galler, the company that produces the bar, makes some of the best chocolate in the world, that's a bummer.

Oh well.

I'm not disappointed I bought the bar; in fact, experimenting with weird chocolate flavors is one of the reasons I love going to Europe. I just don't think I'll need to buy it again. I mean, I'll buy as many dark chocolate mint bars I can find. And if someone puts together a dark chocolate lime bar, I'll try that, too.

I just don't think I need to try them all mixed together again.


No comments:

Post a Comment