Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Tuesday, 5/1


I LOVED yesterday.

What made me love yesterday? All it took was a 15-minute span around 1pm, when I went outside and took a walk around downtown Marquette, a downtown Marquette filled with sun and a temperature approaching 75 degrees.

It‘s been a long time since I was able to do that, to just go out and enjoy the sun and the “heat”. Actually, it was the first time since October when the temperatures hit 70 here. Now, I realize that compared to, say, July, this was nothing, but after those six long months (not to mention very low seasonal sun angles since that fateful October day) it was nice to get out and “feel” the first taste of the summer to come.

And I know I wasn’t the only one enjoying it, The people I passed on the street all had an extra spring in their steps, and I noticed things I haven’t seen in months, like the young lady with neon orange hair sitting on the steps of old City Hall, the young couple walking down the street, hand-in-hand and oblivious to everything but love, and the guy running up Front Street hill without a shirt, but wearing a hat & gloves.

Spring fever affects different people in different ways, I guess.

I thought about grabbing some food and eating lunch down at Lower Harbor Park, but the ice sheet is still sitting on the other side of the breakwater, and that would’ve blocked out some of the magic the day seemed to have. Besides, there will be other days to do that, days when the temperature’s even warmer and the sun is even brighter.

Sadly, while those days do include today (when it's supposed to be even warmer) they won't include the rest of the week, when temps will be 20 or 30 degrees colder and the sky will be filled with rain, and not sun. But those “other days” are not far away, and after an atypical Upper Michigan winter, it’s something to which we can ALL look forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment