Friday, May 18, 2018

Friday, 5/18


Guess what I did five years ago tomorrow? And if you immediately said to yourself, “Well, knowing you, Jim, probably something stupid”, you'd be absolutely right.

For those of you who haven't been reading these for years now, five years ago tomorrow I had my little bike accident. I was riding on the west Marquette bike path behind Loraine, wasn't looking where I was going, ran the front tire of my bike into the rear tire of hers, and watched one or two laws of momentum take over. She didn't even know anything happened, while I hit the bike path face first, losing a front tooth, getting six stitches sewn around my right eye, tearing up my right hand (causing my fingers to swell up, which led to my first wedding ring getting cut off), and generally filling my shoulders and legs with cuts, the scar of one still sitting on my left knee.

Ah, that was a good time.

Like many things in life, it doesn't seem like it's been that long. It doesn't seem like it's been five years, but it has. Thankfully, aside from the scar and a new wedding ring, I've made a full recovery from any injuries I had. I was actually quite lucky; I was able to resume working out a few days later (although the only thing I could do pain-free was to ride a bike, ironically), and all the external injuries healed shortly thereafter. In fact, every time I went to see the dentist after having my front tooth replaced, he had to look and see how well it turned out (because it turned out AMAZINGLY well. You can't even tell it's not a real tooth).

In all, though, it's not something I recommend anyone else try.

And it's led to a very weird reflexive action on my part. It hasn't affected my bike riding or anything, but it has changed the way I watch a certain sport on television. As you know, I love watching the Tour de France on TV each year (just as I'm currently watching the Tour of California this week), and as happens during professional bike races accidents occur. Sometimes, really bad accidents occur. And whenever they happen to show a crash I have to look away from the screen right away. I just can't watch it.

It's weird. I had no problem getting back on the (metaphorical) horse a few days after falling off, but whenever I see a bike accident on TV? I cringe a little. Go figure.

Anyway, that's the anniversary I'm celebrating tomorrow. Maybe I'll mark it by actually getting my bike out and riding it for the first time this year. I think it'd be a perfect time to do that. I'll just have to remember NOT to ride into Loraine's tire this time.

Have a great (and accident-free) weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment