Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Tuesday, 10/13

 As is my nature, I'm trying to be optimistic about it all. I just have no idea if that optimism will be misplaced or not.

Both History Jim and TV Jim have been dealing with scheduling issues during the era of Covid recently. I'll discuss TV Jim in a day or two, because that issue isn't quite settled yet, but History Jim has been given his assignments for 2021. At this point, though, I just have no idea if I'll be able to do them in-person, in another format, or not at all.

Isn't 2020 fun?

As you know, all the walking tours I was scheduled to give this year were cancelled, as were several other things I was supposed to do. I managed to turn one of those walking tours into a video, and I'm working on turn another into a documentary, but everything else just kind of went by the wayside.

Bummer.

However, we had our (socially-distanced) annual programming meeting at the History Center, and even though we have no idea if these will ever come off, we've decided what were going to TRY and do next year. For me, it will (hopefully) start with the annual Jim & Jack spectacular that we do at Kaufman. We've sold the place out the past two years. However, next year we have no idea if we'll even be able to get into the place, or whether we'll have to do it later in the year, or do it virtually, or do it outside at the History Center.

We just don't know.

The video for “Third Street: Day & Night” I did this past summer came about because it was originally supposed to be a walking tour, so I'm hoping to do the actual walking tour again next June or July. As you recall, we were just a couple of weeks away from doing it this July but eventually pulled the plug. And since all the work for it was done, I might as well put it to use.

So that's another.

And finally, I'm hoping to do a downtown walking tour that leans on a lot of “urban archaeology” called “I've Been Working on the Railroad”, discussing how the area was shaped by all the rail lines and facilities that were around the first 100 or so years of the city. I've been meaning to do it for several years now, and seeing as how (coincidentally) the History Center has a big railroad exhibition next summer, it fits in perfectly.

It's also one of those things that could, if circumstances warrant, be turned into a documentary. But I'd much rather do it in person. So, if you know anyone with any sort of influence over Mother Nature, can you please ask them to ask her to please—please--dial this whole pandemic thing down?

I say “thank you”. And so does the History Center.

8-)

Like I said, I have no idea if any or all of these will come off as planned. All I know is that the work on them will get done and hopefully, in one format or another, will get out to everyone.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Tomorrow, if I know any more, the second part of the story.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment