Monday, October 26, 2020

Monday, 10/26

 Well, it's good to know I have another 4 to 5 decades of healthy living ahead of me.

I did a lot of reading over the weekend because, you know, the snow wouldn't let me do anything else (sigh).  One of the things I came across a story that the Goldenson Center in Connecticut, a medical research place, had developed a online calculator where you answer a bunch of questions and it tells you how many healthy years of living you have left. Always being curious about things like that, and having a desire to live to be at least 100, I plugged in my info, and found out some good news.

I should make it.

Now, I realize this is just an online test, and in no way indicative of what my future holds (especially because it doesn't ask about family medical history), but after answering a dozen general questions about lifestyles, eating habits, and the like, the calculator says I should have another 42 years of healthy living in front of me, followed by (gulp) five to eight years of failing health before I should shuffle off this mortal coil. Of course, I'm guessing it doesn't take into account any advances in medical treatment in the next half century, but even if it does, I can live with the predicted results.

No pun intended.

Now, I should live that long as long as I keep living the way I do. Because I exercise a lot and (try to) eat well I scored a lot of extra years. However, I know that that could be out of my control sometime in the future and should that happen it would change the results radically. But assuming that I can keep doing what I'm doing (and I PLAN on keeping doing what I'm doing) and not develop any weird diseases I should be able to live the way I do until sometime around 2060, when I then start to go downhill.

Sorry, guys. Looks like you're stuck with me.

What am I gonna do with those 40+ years? I dunno. I suppose I could get a real job one of these days. I've always joked about going back to school once I'm done doing what I'm doing now, studying something really different, and then starting another career for a decade or two. I don't know if that's possible, or if anyone would even want to hire a newly minted college graduate who just happens to be in his 70s, but it's a whole new world out there. I might as well think about giving it a shot, right?

Anyway, that's what my future could hold. If you wanna try it for yourself and see how many healthy years you may (or my not) have left, give it a click—http://apps.goldensoncenter.uconn.edu/HLEC/

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment