Monday, October 19, 2020

Monday, 10/19

 Rain, rain, go away. Come again...

Well, never. Come again never. That would be fine with me.

Maybe this is just an early case of Seasonal Affliction Disorder talking, but the three weeks of (mostly) rain and cold temperatures we've been experiencing can go away and not come back. I mean, that's not even taking into account the (ugh) snow we had in the air (and lightly on the ground) Friday and Saturday, but all the November-like weather we've been dealing with around here since the last week of September?

It's almost enough, in fact, to make one wish one were a duck.



Although I'm thinking that, by this point, even a duck would be sick of the stuff.

It's all made even worse, of course, by the cold that's accompanied the rain. Even on those rare days when the sun was out, like last Friday, temperatures were stuck in the 40s. In fact, for the month, I think we're something like over 10 degrees BELOW our normal highs.

Ten degrees BELOW normal. Just for comparison, and because I'm won't be able to go there any time soon, Germany has had a bunch of days in the 70s & 80s this month and they're almost ten degrees ABOVE normal.   

Tell me we haven't screwed up the climate of this planet to an amazing degree.

I know; the intelligent among you are ready to tell me that there's nothing we can do about the weather, and you're absolutely right about that. Complaining about it doesn't change it or fix it. It's not like if I yell loud enough I'll create a pressure wave strong enough to move the blocking system that's been causing us to have this wet & cold weather. I know that.

It's just that I think I'm at the end of my rope.

So I'll wrap this up with two thoughts. First of all, thanks for letting me blow off a little steam. I appreciate it. Secondly, I know that I don't like “typical” fall weather. But if we ever DO get a day where it's sunny but a little crisp outside, I will embrace it with all the gusto I usually reserve for an 80 degree day. I promise you that.

I don't know if we'll be getting one any time soon, but if we do, you have my word.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment