Monday, October 12, 2020

Monday, 10/12

 MONDAY, 10/12:

It's a holiday today. Does it feel like a holiday to you?

Nah; me neither. So let's talk about some of the greatest music ever recorded!

You know I like Stevie Wonder, right? I may have written about that one or two or several thousand times in here. Well, I came across a list from Rolling Stone magazine of the 10 best Stevie Wonder songs of all time. I have to say I can’t disagree with most of the list; after all, they had “Superstition” at number one, plus songs like “Living for the City” and “I Wish” were all up there. But the one thing with which I need to take major exception is the song at number 7.

You know--“I Just Called To Say I Love You”.

Now I realize I might be swimming in a little hot water here. I know that for a lot of people “I Just Called” is a song they love, and perhaps their favorite Stevie Wonder song. In fact, when we put his songs up for a vote on “Favorite Friday” a few years ago that song ended up coming in second behind “Superstition”. And I also know it won an Academy Award as best song (from the 1984 movie “The Woman in Red”). But to me, “I Just Called” is not a Stevie Wonder song; it’s a generic song that anyone could’ve done.

Go ahead; dislike me, if you must. But when I think of Stevie Wonder songs, I think of tunes with funk, tunes with a beat that will not let your toe stop tapping, and tunes with a heart. At least to me, “I Just Called” doesn’t meet any of those criteria. It’s just, well, a sappy song with a drum machine for a beat. It doesn’t capture the “essence” of a Stevie Wonder song. I realize music is a very subjective matter, and you might feel differently about the song (which is fine with me), but that’s how I feel.

In a way, though, it’s funny. Stevie Wonder wrote two songs for “The Woman in Red”, and the other one is actually something that would’ve made MY list of the top ten Stevie Wonder tunes of all time. It’s called “Love Light in Flight”, and many of the things I think “I Just Called” is lacking “Love Light” has, especially a beat that will not stop. But not many people know about it. I guess when you have a song that was as massive of a hit as “I Just Called” the oxygen gets sucked out of the room for anything else the artist does. But do yourself a favor; if you ever have the chance, listen to “Love Light in Flight”. Even if you think “I Just Called” is a great Stevie Wonder, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised by the OTHER song from the movie, as well.



Okay; I’ll get off my musical soapbox for now. If you're off of work today, enjoy it. If you're like the rest of us, hope your week is off to a great start!

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment