Friday, October 9, 2020

Friday, 10/9

 You know what? I don’t have a favorite number.

I don’t know if it’s a big deal that I don’t have a favorite number, just as I have no idea how many people actually DO have a favorite number. All I know is that I don’t have one, and this came to light after reading an article or an essay or something that talked about people’s favorite numbers and how a large majority of them are even numbers.

Maybe, just to level the playing field, I should get myself a favorite number, and make sure it’s odd. Besides, how apt would it be that my favorite number is odd? Certainly would fit, wouldn’t it?

The article (and I wish I remember where I read it, so I could give the author credit) posited that most people’s favorite numbers are even numbers because, for whatever reason, people perceive even numbers as “nice” and odd numbers as “bad”. I’m not quite sure why; I think the article pointed out that, with one exception, all prime numbers are odd and, for some reason, people don’t like prime numbers. That could be a reason. But there’s also something I’ve kind of noticed over the years--even numbers look friendlier.

No, I’m not strange. Well, yes, I suppose I AM strange, but think about it--when you look at an even number like “8”, it just looks friendlier than, say a “15”, which just looks more severe. Or at least it does to me; after all, this theory has absolutely no basis in scientific fact. It’s just how I perceive the way the numbers look. But, according to the article I read, maybe there IS some basis in it. Maybe I’m not the only person who feels that even numbers look “friendlier” than odd numbers.

That might explain why most people have a favorite number that’s even, right?

So like I said, if I ever do picture out a favorite number, I’ll have to make sure that it’s an odd number, perhaps even a prime odd number, just so I can be a contrarian. Right now, I’m thinking 29, although that could change depending upon my whims.

I’ll let you know. And on that note, have yourself an “even” weekend. Or an “odd” one. Just as long as it's a GOOD one.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment