Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tuesday, 9/10


Yesterday was not a fun day.

For those of you who were around Marquette and were trying to listen to this radio station you may have noticed that we weren't on the air. A crew had to climb the tower on which our transmitter array sits and replace a few things for another customer. And because we put out so much power and because the people climbing the tower didn't want to end up like microwaved potatoes, we had to go off the air.

For four and a half long hours.

As frustrated as you guys probably get when we’re off the air, I’m even more so. I mean, not only am I sitting in my office, waiting to go back on the air and wondering if it’ll ever happen, but once we do go back on the air I need to then reschedule each and every commercial that we missed. And if we’ve been off for most of the day, as we were yesterday, that’s a lot of commercials to make good.

The worst part of it is, of course, that the situation’s out of my control. If we go off the air because of a technical problem or, as was the case yesterday, someone else's technical problem, there’s nothing I can do about it except wait. Well, I should say there’s nothing I can do except wait and wonder. Because the people who are busy fixing things are, well, busy fixing things, I can’t call them up every five minutes and ask when they’ll be done. If I did that, they’d never get anything done, except for answering their phone every five minutes. So I just sit, wait, and wonder, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

And for someone who seems to have an infinite amount of patience, this is the one time I really, REALLY need to draw upon it!

So if you would, keep your fingers crossed that everything is actually fixed on the tower and that we don't have to have an encore performance again today. Not only would it be a nice change for you guys, but it’ll help me try and keep a tenuous grip on whatever sanity I have left.

And as we all know, that's not really much to being with.

*****

Tomorrow, the story about how I may actually, just by the smallest degree but actually, may be turning into an adult. Shocking, I know. But what arrived in the mail over the weekend may actually be a sign that it's happening.

There's even a picture for proof. All the details tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment