Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Wednesday, 9/25


Sometimes technology can get a little scary.

You remember this picture, right? The picture that I posted here on Monday after my parents' 60th anniversary dinner?


Well, I also put it up on Facebook Sunday night. And even before I has a chance to finish writing the caption on the picture, Facebook's facial recognition software had identified six people in the picture and tagged them in it.

Even before I finished writing the caption.

Now, I know technology is everywhere, and we have no privacy any more. But the fact that a private company has the ability to identify people just...makes me wonder. Should any one group have that much of an ability to identify us? Especially enough power to do identify a person with just this much of their face showing?



That's my nephew Nick, who was one of the people tagged by Facebook, even though you could only see part of his face. I expect governments to have the ability to do something like that. I don't like it, but I expect them to have that ability. Same goes for the military. But for a private company to be able to identify someone just on their eyes and their forehead?

I just don't know.

Like I said, I know tech is everywhere. I know it's (hopefully) keeping us safe and helping us live our lives to the fullest. But is there a line somewhere that we should be drawing in the sand, just so we have a little privacy left? I mean, if they can identify Nick by his eyes, who's to say that some eye wear or insurance company can't use his picture to see whether or not he needs glasses or he's developing glaucoma or something?

It's just a slippery slope, I guess. And I don't know if there's a good answer to all of this. All I know is that it's gonna keep getting slipperier and slipperier as the years wear on. Now, if you don't mind, I'm gonna go jump in the shower and shave. After all, I don't want a camera somewhere to take a picture of me, notice I have stubble, and tell Gillette that I haven't been using those razors of theirs I bought a few weeks ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment