Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Tuesday, 6/11


At least for now we're getting through it. That may change. But at least for now we're getting through it.

I've had several people ask how the street construction is going in front of our house--



And, well, it's going. The first week we got to deal with pavement being torn out and back-end loaders loading up back ends (or whatever they load) until 10 at night. Now, as I mentioned yesterday, we don't have any real water; instead, there's a hose hooked up to a fire hydrant, feeding our whole building of 5 different apartments containing nine different people.

But it'll be done soon, right?

Right?

It’s funny; whenever I hear someone complain about how street construction gets in the way of their drive to work or causes them to have to walk a block or two out of their way, I’ll always say something along the lines of “Well, it’s a sign that Marquette is a constantly growing and evolving community, always trying to make itself better and position itself for the future”. I either then get a glare or a slap (or both), but I always point out the good of road repair.

Now, of course, it’s right outside my front door. On any given day equipment will be moving around, pipes will be hauled hither and yon, and and I'll get glares from workers as I try to pick my way through the maze of tools & concrete they've placed on the very same sidewalk I need to traverse to get to work (or anywhere, for that matter). Still, I don't begrudge them much, even when they start digging at 7 in the morning.

That's maybe the one thing that's really bothersome about the whole affair.

Being an apartment dweller for lo these many years, I sleep with earplugs. They drown out most of the outside (and inside) noise, and allow you to get a good night’s rest. So I can just imagine what it's like at 7 on any given morning when some of my neighbors, many of whom probably don't sleep with earplugs, realize what's happening outside their doors. I mean, if I can hear the noise through earplugs, I can just imagine what it would sound like without ‘em.

Still, I s’pose we have to look at it the way I always look at it. The street reconstruction is a sign that Marquette is a constantly growing and evolving community, always trying to make itself better and position itself for the future. And that’s a good thing.

Even if you don't have water, have to traverse an obstacle course to get anywhere, and you don't need to set an alarm clock for the duration of the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment