Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday, 11/28


I'm bummed. I'm not totally surprised, but I'm bummed.

The news that Valle's Market in Marquette is closing in a few weeks spread like wildfire Monday and yesterday. The growing increase in competition from big box stores in and around the city is cited as the reason, and like I said, I'm not totally surprised that a small, family-owned neighborhood market couldn't make it.

But I'll really miss it.

I was usually at Valle's several times a week, not necessarily to do all my shopping but to pick up stuff I needed. It was a 12-minute walk from my apartment to the store, which means that it was literally quicker for me to hike down there and get milk & toilet paper (or whatever I needed) than it was to fire up the car, drive to one of the big stores, park, stand in line, and then get home. For me, at least, Valle's truly was a neighborhood market, especially when I was able to make that walk on a warm summer day.

Of course, like almost everyone, I didn't do all my “shopping” there, so in a way I guess I'm partly responsible for it not hanging on. Like most people, I didn't think of it as a “grocery” store; instead, it was a convenient place to pick up whatever I needed at the moment or whatever I forgot at another store. It was just one of many stores I go (or went) to; I go to Farmer Qs, I go to the Co-op, I go to Super One or Econo, and I go (or went) to Valle's. But, like everyone else, I didn't do my “shopping” there.

So, I guess, it's partly my fault.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do now. If I do need to pick up something for a baking project or if I notice we're running short of milk I'll no longer have the convenience of walking down the street and getting it. There are a couple of party stores nearby, so I supposed that might suffice as far as milk goes, but everything else? Now I will have fire up the car (or my bike, if it's summer) and make my way from the East side of Marquette all the way to the West, find a parking spot (or a bike rack), and trudge through a building as big as a city block to find the one thing I need. Then I'll have to fire up the car (or my bike) again, and dodge traffic to make it back home with my eggs or the avocado I didn't get at another store.

I totally understand why Valle's is closing, but that doesn't mean it makes it any easier. They were an amazing asset for those of us who lived nearby, and I will miss not only the convenience they offered, but the friendly people who worked there.

Thanks for being part of the neighborhood, guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment