Thursday, November 1, 2018

Thursday, 11/1


I can't believe it's that time of the year again. I can't believe November has rolled around. I can't believe the weeks are zooming by. And because of that, I can't believe I have to start thinking about Christmas cookies.

It seems to me like I was just passing out all of the cookies I made last holiday season. Of course, it also seems to me like I was just graduating from college, but seeing as how that was last century (whimper), it gives you a pretty good idea of how I handle the passing of time. And since I've been so busy recently, and have had so many things I'm trying to keep up with, I figure I should probably get my butt in gear regarding this year's batch of cookies.

After all, I don't want to be passing them out next February or next March. I have a feeling they wouldn't be appreciated quite the same as they would be in December.

As you may recall, Christmas cookies are the big holiday tradition in the small Koski apartment. I always make five or six kinds, which we then pass out to family, friends, co-workers, and, in a tradition that's been going for over a decade now, to several old neighbors. Seeing as how I end up making four or five hundred cookies in total, and seeing as how I know there's no way Loraine and I want to eat them all ourselves, they get handed out for the holidays.

We might as well spread the caloric catastrophe out amongst as many people as possible, right?

There are several major steps to the whole production, the first of which is deciding what the “new” cookie will be. Like most things that have to do with the holidays, tradition abounds in my making of Christmas cookies. There are several kinds I have to make year in and year out—the Grandma cookie, the cherry one with the dark chocolate stuck on top, & the Nutella cookie (which this year may be amped up with a Nutella filling inside because, of course, you can never have too much Nutella in a cookie). Now, I know those aren't the actual names of the cookies; that's just how they're referred to on the assembly line.

Along with those cookies, I always make a cookie I've not made before. Last year, it was a lemon-rosemary shortbread cookie that quickly became one of my favorites of all time, and may have made the jump up to “make this every year” status. So picking the “new” cookie is always a serious task, and one that demands some thought. After all, not only does it have to be something I've never made before, but it also has to balance out the rest of the cookies. Am I making too many with chocolate? Then maybe the “new” cookie should be something that's a little spicy. Do I have too many cookies that are green and/or red? Then maybe I should make a white cookie, or a yellow cookie, or even, I dunno, a black cookie. These are all things that a normal person, when deciding which cookies to make for the holidays, wouldn't even think about. But me?

Well, who ever said I was normal, right?

So I guess I should make that first step and decide—quite soon—what this year's “new” cookie should be. Then I can make up a shopping list, and hope I find some time to throw them all together in time for delivery BY Christmas. Otherwise, we'll have to call them New Year's Cookies. Or Valentine's Day Cookies. Or St. Patrick’s Day Cookies. Or even Arbor Day Cookies.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment