Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thursday, 11/8


The stupid song's almost 30 years old. I didn't like it when it was first out. So why do I keep listening to it over and over again now?

Sigh...

As some of you may know, I have a weak, weak brain. A song can lodge itself in my head for days at a time, or I can wake up in the middle of the night with a quirky 80s new wave hit running on repeat, and then spend the rest of the night staring at the ceiling while it blasts my brain at full volume. It's not a skill of which I'm proud, but it's one of the few that I do have.

Such is the case now. A couple of weeks ago on a “Throwback Thursday” we played a song from a one album wonder of the 1990s. I had actually kind of forgotten about the song for the past few decades, but when I heard it two thoughts popped into my head. The first? “I didn't like this song that much when it was out”.

The second? “The song doesn't totally suck. Why didn't I like it back then?”.

And then, of course, I made the mistake I often make. I listened to the song once or twice. And then five or six times. Before I knew it, iTunes was telling me I'd listened to it almost 20 times in a two day span. That's when I knew I was in trouble.

The (stupid) song that is now stuck in my brain? This one--



Everybody knows about C&C Music Factory's “Everybody Dance Now”, but they tend to forget about the follow-up to it, “Here We Go”, the song that is currently stuck in my brain. After listening to it almost 20 times over two days I can say that it's a much better song than their big hit. It's a little more rock in nature, and it samples Chic's “Le Freak”, which is never a bad thing. But it's not a great song. It's not a classic piece of work. It's certainly not a song that should lodge itself into my brain.

And yet, it has.

Hopefully, by writing this, I may have exorcised it from my brain. Realistically, by writing this, it's probably lodged itself even deeper into my brain. But in all honesty it was probably gonna stay there for a while, so it's not that big of a deal.

Check it out, if you dare. I'm hopeful that your brain is stronger than mine, and that you won't be listening to it 20 times over a two day period. However, if you do, let me apologize in advance.

It would be entirely my fault.

(jim@wmqt.com), weak of mind.




1 comment:

  1. HA HA, I hear the similarity with that song compared to everybody dance now, but me being the younger generation I only heard the dance now song not this one. I see why it's stuck in your head. -Meteorologist Jeff Nordeen

    ReplyDelete