Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Wednesday, 2/14


Happy Valentine's Day. And to quote the sorely missed Craig Ferguson, with a shrug of my shoulders, “That's all I've got”.

Well, at least that's all I've got as far as Valentine's Day goes. But I played a song yesterday and, for some reason, my brain went into overdrive. I don't know why; I don't know how. It just did.,

I had an Instant Request for Bob Seger's “Hollywood Nights” yesterday. If you're not familiar with the song, it's about a Midwestern boy who heads out to California and falls in love with a girl, a girl who dumps him by the end of the tune. The girl, as described by Seger, is one of those stereotypical California girls who, as the lyrics put it, had been born with “a face that would let her get away” with just about anything.

But that's not what sent my brain into overtime. Nope; this is what sent my brain into overtime. The song is 40 years old. The album from which it came, “Stranger in Town”, was released 4 decades ago in 1978. So, for a second, assume that what took place in the song really happened. Assume that the girl born with “a face that would let her get away” was 21 when the song happened. That would mean that the girl born with “a face that would let her get away”, the girl that broke the protagonist's heart, would be 61 years old.

The girl born with “a face that would let her get away” would now, in all likelihood, be a grandmother. And the guy whose heart she broke? There would probably be kids calling him “grandpa”.

That's what sent my brain into overdrive.

No, I don't know why I thought of that. I mean, I knew in the back of my head that the song was 40 years old. I haven't heard it in a while, which probably led me to listen to the lyrics a little closer than I normally would've. And for some strange reason, stuff just started to add up until I realized that the two characters in the song are now almost eligible for Social Security.

I wonder if Bob Seger ever considered that fact even a remote possibility when he wrote the tune?

Ponder that, I guess, and have yourself a great Valentine's Day while you're at it. Hopefully, weird stuff won't send your brain into overdrive throughout the day

8-)


(ps—the interview with Ed Roland of Collective Soul I mentioned yesterday went swimmingly. Unlike some rock stars, he didn't take himself or what he does too seriously, and that's always a bonus. You can hear it on the air this (Wednesday) afternoon around 335. I'll also put it up on our Soundcloud page after it airs).

No comments:

Post a Comment