Friday, February 23, 2018

Friday, 2/23


Because I have to be at a local auto dealership in a few minutes to get the oil changed in Loraine's car, because I then have to go to work, and because I then have to go judge the Peter White Public Library's “Sip & Spell” drunken spelling bee, I'm gonna take the easy way out and leave you with something that I wrote five years ago, almost to the day.

But it still might make you wonder, at least what's up with some people and what they eat.

Speaking of which, I'll be doing just that tomorrow at the annual SAIL Chocolate Festival here in Marquette. Assuming I survive that and am not in a food coma, details on the Festival, the spelling bee, and whatever else pops up on Monday. Have a great weekend!


*****

(as originally posted 2/21/13):

Okay. . .I’ve heard of ketchup & gravy before, but butter? Or pickles? Or olives? Or steak sauce?

Every Tuesday on the station we do our “Tuesday Topic”, wherein we ask listeners a question that has to do with life in the U.P. Two days ago the question was this: how do you eat a pasty--with ketchup, gravy, or something entirely different? Well, despite the fact that it was a snow day and I’m sure people had better things to do, over one hundred weighed in with their opinion, and after reading those opinions, I came away with two thoughts. The first is that people in the U.P. REALLY love their pasties. The other?

That people in the U.P. put some really strange things on those pasties they love!

Sure, a large chunk of respondents said ketchup, while a smaller chunk said gravy. But it was the answers on the outside that caught my attention. Apparently, there a lot of people who like to eat them with butter. There’s another bunch that likes to eat them with pickles. There’s at least one person who likes to eat them with picked beets. Several said mayonnaise, one said mayonnaise with ketchup, while perhaps my favorite was butter, mayonnaise, and a dash of sugar.

Think the old Cornish miners who brought pasties to the U.S. would approve of that?

Someone asked me how I eat MY pasties. And while I don’t eat pasties that often, I’ll either eat them plain, or throw a little ketchup on them. I don’t know I could stomach them with pickles or olives or butter or mayo or any other combination thereof. But I’m glad that’s how YOU guys eat them, and I’m also glad that you took the time to share that Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment