Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Tuesday, 2/27


I've done a lot of strange, interesting, and unique things in my life. However, I never thought one of those would be standing on a stage, wearing a bee costume and trying to spell a word in front of several hundred people.

Before yesterday's sad news about Phil's death I'd actually been having a rather interesting weekend. Loraine and I had a great time at the SAIL Chocolate Festival Saturday. My parents had to come back from Florida for a few days (for a funeral, sadly), so we got to see them. And as I wrote about a week or so ago, Friday night I was the judge at the Peter White Public Library's “Sip & Spell” drunken spelling bee. I didn't think I'd actually end up as one of the participants, but lo and behold, it happened.

And I didn't even have a choice in the matter.

First of all, the spelling bee was a blast. It was the first time any group had tried something like that in Marquette, and it it seems like everyone had a lot of fun, even with the little glitches that come with doing a first time event. I have no doubt that next year's should be even better. One of the ways you could advance to the finals of the spelling bee, even if you flamed out in an early round, was to spend $100 bucks and put on a bee suit. You then automatically advanced. You could also pay $100 and force someone else to wear the suit. The good news for that person was that they got to go to the final round. The bad news was they had to wear the bee suit.

So when we got to a break halfway through the spelling bee the crowd was informed that someone had made an anonymous $100 donation, and the library would get that money if I put on the suit and joined the finals of the spelling bee. Now, as you may know, I'm usually not one to get dressed up in costumes, but it was for a good cause and, apparently, I had no choice in the matter, which is how I ended up wearing a bee suit on a stage with 25 other people trying to spell multi-syllabic words in front of a big group, all under the glare of a spotlight and with music pounding from the sound system.

It's too bad I flamed out on the first word I was given.

Now, in my defense, I hadn't prepared to spell words in a spelling bee. I hadn't studied a dictionary or a thesaurus. I didn't remember any rules of grammar. And I hadn't surreptitiously downloaded a spell check program into my brain. Nope; I had to stand on a stage in a bee costume and spell a word that I thought I knew but, as it turned out, had no idea how to spell.

So, you know, “yay” for me.

I then went back to my pre-ordained role as judge, although I did keep the bee costume on for effect (and, just as an aside, those suckers get hot after a while). Someone eventually walked away the winner, the Library walked away with a lot of money, and everyone who was there walked away happy. Before I walked away for the night I was given the chance to walk away with my bee costume. I thought about it for a second, but decided against it. I told them to give it to whoever anonymously paid for me to wear it.

So if you see someone walking around in a bee costume any time soon, let me know. I have something I'd like to discuss with them.

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment