Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Tuesday, 2/6

Okay. I have to admit it's a lot more fun to watch a football game when you know Tom Brady's not gonna win.

I scanned through the Super Bowl last night, the same Super Bowl I DVR'd in favor of a “Star Wars” marathon Sunday night. Part of me wishes I watched it live; after all, the joy on my face seeing the disappointment on the faces of the New England Patriots at the end of the game would've almost been worth it. But that would've been preceded by three hours of sheer terror as I would've wondered if my heart would've been ripped out by the most evil quarterback ever to play football.

So I'm kinda happy with the way I did things. Besides, that way I got to watch two “Star Wars” movies AND see a commercial for the new “Solo” solo “Star Wars” flick. I consider that a win-win all around.

Someone dropped me a note yesterday wondering what Tom Brady did to me to make me loathe him so, and since it's been a while since I fully explained, let me do so now. I've been an Indianapolis Colts fan for a long time, and for good deal of the 00s and the beginning of the teens (mostly when Peyton Manning quarterbacked the team) the Colts and the Patriots were the two heavyweight teams of the NFL. They'd usually play once a year in the regular season and then again in the playoffs, and for some reason—I don't even think the players or the teams knew why—New England would always beat Indianapolis. The Colts could run roughshod on every other team in the league, often doing so with artistry and panache. But whenever they faced Tom Brady?

They stunk up the joint. They laid an egg. The vast majority of the time evil quarterback just got the best of the Colts, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. You'd always hope for something different, and the Colts DID win a few, most memorably the 2006 NFL Championship game that sent them to the Super Bowl and still ranks as maybe the best time I've ever had watching a football game. But for the most part watching the two teams play was excruciatingly painful, an experience that would make me pace our living room groaning in agony and driving Loraine crazy.

And it wasn't just the Colts the evil one had some kind of weird power over. It seemed like every year the Patriots would advance far into the playoffs and there was nothing the league could do about it. It just got to be boring; if the “perfect” Patriots played, you knew that more than likely they'd win. And it reached the pinnacle of absurdity during last year's Super Bowl, when they came back from a 28-3 deficit to win the game in overtime. It was my reaction to that contest that led to Loraine's her idea for the “Star Wars” marathon once she heard they'd be back in the Super Bowl again this year. She knows what the evil Tom Brady does to my heart, and she decided to take matters into her own hands.

She's a cool chick. Have I ever mentioned that?

So it's nice to know that the unvanquished can be vanquished. It was fun to watch it. And, if I must admit, it was even more fun to watch it knowing that the evil one would be vanquished in the end. If the team ever makes it to the big game again, I think I know what I'll do.

I'll watch a few more “Star Wars” movies. And then see the Patriots get beat the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment