Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Tuesday, 2/13

I get to interview another rock star today.

I realize not everyone gets to say that in their everyday life. Heck, I realize that the vast majority of people NEVER get to say that. But because of this weird job that I have I have to interview Ed Roland before I go on the air this afternoon. I'll play it back later this week, before the group's shows at the Island Resort.

But I get to interview another rock star today.

I couldn't tell you how many famous people my job has allowed me to speak with over the years. I just know it's a lot, a number so proportionally out of whack with the rest of the population that I often feel like I live my life in some kind of weird alternate universe. I've spoken with famous people in person and on the phone. I've spoken with them while driving them around and having dinner with them. I've spoken with singers and artists and politicians and writers. And heck, I even did a last-minute interview with a comedian while I was walking on the beach at McCarty's Cove and he was on an airplane flying to the U.P.

That was weird, but modern technology means you can do stuff like that.

One of the bad things about speaking with so many celebrities, at least if you're me, is that sometimes, especially after a few years, the interviews blend together. I don't remember what I spoke about with certain celebrities. I mean, I know I spoke with them, but I have no idea what we talked about. And then there are a couple of acts or artists that I THINK I interviewed, but I'm not sure if I really did or not. I know that probably says more about my memory than anything, but heck—if a normal person spoke with a celebrity, even on the phone, you'd think they'd remember that they did it.

But, of course, not me.

The weird thing is, I don't seem to get starstruck when I do these interviews. I know that the people to whom I'm speaking have a schedule they need to keep and certain things about which they wish to speak, so I tend to be professional and stick to whatever they want to get across. But I always try to throw in one question they (hopefully) haven't heard before, a question that will make the famous person chuckle or (even better) say “that's a good question”. Some of the people to whom I speak do dozens of interviews a day and hear the same questions over and over and over again. If I can make the experience even slightly unique for them; well, then I've done my job.

I'm off now to get ready for that interview, plus another with someone who probably doesn't have a roadie to carry his equipment around (unless there's something we don't know about Marquette County Sheriff Greg Zyburt). If anything juicy (with either) happens I'll share tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment