Thursday, May 18, 2017

Thursday, 5/18

I'm gonna have to maim you if you ever repeat what I'm about to say, but I really like my bifocals.

I know; it makes no sense to me, either. I complained quite a bit when I was told I needed them a few years ago. After all, bifocals are something “old” people wear, and coming from a family that's quite averse to aging, the bifocals seem almost antithetical. But, as you may recall, I went to the eye doctor yesterday. Because the check-up revealed my eyes have changed a little in the two years since I got my last pair of glasses, I need new lenses. For a few minutes, it looked as if I may have had to give them my current bifocals and use an old pair of glasses to see; specifically, the last glasses I had before I needed bifocals.

And, although I'm REALLY loathe to admit this, I didn't want to give my bifocals up.  Thankfully, I didn't have to.

Until the past few years the only problem with my eyes was that things were blurry far away. I could see just fine looking at things that were close up. But apparently, as mere mortals age, our eyes become less elastic and it's harder to see close up without assistance. It's hard for me to admit, but apparently I'm living proof of that. So the old glasses I may have had to temporarily use correct my vision far away just fine; after all, that part of me has remained constant over the years. But when I try to read something wearing these old glasses, I just can't look down at the bottom of the lenses and clearly see what I'm reading, like I did with my bifocals. Nope. I temporarily have to act like an old person and hold the reading material at half an arm's length; otherwise, it's just a slightly fuzzy blur of text, pictures, and colors.

Using those old glasses, I temporarily become the person I used to (jokingly) mock. Karma, I hope my derriere doesn't hurt your teeth too much.

Actually, reading a book isn't that bad. Like I said, I just need to adjust my arms a little. It's looking at a computer screen that's the problem. Just out of curiosity, I threw the old pair on this morning to see how they would've worked, and it was, shall we say, interesting. I had to lean into every screen I used, just to see what I'm typing or what I'm touching. My laptop's not too bad, because I can move that wherever it works best. It's when I used a desktop computer with a fixed monitor—like at work, when editing something, or right now, when writing this—that I had to hunch over just to clearly see what was popping up on the screen. I did my best, but I would just like to say if there are any spelling errors in today's entry, it's not my fault.

It's the fault of my ding-dang eyes.

Thankfully, I did not have to deal with this problem Thankfully, when the new lenses come in, they can just pop them into the current frames, and I'll be set. Until then, I'll just try not to think about how much of a hypocrite I've become in my old age.

You know, the kind of hypocrite who doesn't want his bifocals taken away.

8-)

*****

Speaking of my trip to the eye doctor yesterday, do you remember a couple of months ago when the Ironwood “High School Bowl” team wanted me to run for President? Well, they now have some company!



I especially like the eye-related puns they put on the sign, like “Jim for President 20/20” and “He Has a Great Vision”. Thanks to Donna and the gang at Dr. Kyle's office for making my day yesterday!



No comments:

Post a Comment