Monday, May 8, 2017

Monday, 5/8

I don't have a lot of time to write today, as I have to head to work early and get a bunch of stuff done so I can run away and join the circus later this afternoon (well, it's only for an hour, but still, it's running away and joining the circus), but I wanted to let you know there's a good possibility I may be making a fool of myself on live TV Thursday night.

Now, I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV. While I'd like to think that I know what's legal and what's not, I couldn't tell you all the arcane nuances of Michigan law. I've never been arrested. I've never been sued. I've never been part of any legal action. And though I've had to re-arrange my life many times to be on call for jury duty, I've never actually been on a jury. Yet despite all of this inexperience in the field, I will be guest hosting TV-13's “Ask the Lawyers” live Thursday night.

I know; I had the same thoughts myself. But the people who put the program together feel confident in my ability to handle a live TV show when viewers call in questions and lawyers answer them. And it's probably a good thing viewers have the questions and not me; otherwise, one of the lawyers would probably have to answer a question like “So...have you ever actually yelled 'I'm out of order? The whole system is out of order' in a courtroom”?

Although, now that I think of it, that might make for some interesting TV.

While I doubt the show will devolve to that level, it'll be different than other TV shows I've done before. I'll be the “moderator”, a serious word that makes me think of a serious adult doing serious things, and if there's something we all know it's that I'm neither serious nor an adult. But I think it should go okay. If nothing else, I'll just look at it the way I looked at the last serious, adult thing I did, which was be the board president of the Marquette Regional History Center—as long as the place stayed in business and didn't burn down while I was in charge, I'd be happy.

And seeing as how it's still standing and still open, I guess that experience went well.

If you feel like checking it out, the show will air live Thursday night at 8 on Public TV 13. Keep your fingers crossed the station's still on the air Thursday night at 9.

That's it for today. I'm off to join the circus in a bit!


No comments:

Post a Comment