Thursday, May 11, 2017

Thursday, 5/11

With everything swirling around us the past few days, both locally and nationally, it makes one wonder, literally, what is coming next. Who unexpectedly dies? What bombshell gets released overnight and then assaults us when we first check our news feeds or TV in the morning?

It's been one of those weeks.

But you know what? No matter what tragedy hits a local community or no matter what kind of chaos tries to suck us into the vortex, we're strong people. We can handle whatever comes our way. Sure, things may get bumpy and sure, things may occur that make our heads spin around in a complete circle once or twice, but we can handle it.

I truly believe that.

As I've written in here before, I've always considered myself very lucky in that I'm an optimist. I always look for the upside in things, and I have the ability to brush off the bad. I don't know if it's the way my DNA is arranged or if it's the way I was taught to look at things, but even in the darkest of times I know things will even out. I know we can get through whatever kind of problems we're facing. I know the chaos won't suck us into the vortex.

It sometimes may take a little while, but I have an innate faith that things will work out.

I also know that not everyone is like me. I know that there are people who, when times get tough, withdraw from the world or do anything they can to hide until the vortex has disappeared. I respect that; after all, every person has a different way of reacting to the world around them, and I realize that my way may not work for everyone. Heck, sometimes my way may not even be the best way. But I would hope that even the most pessimistic among us realizes a few things—that no matter what happens, the sun will rise once again in the morning, and that the modern human capacity for resilience, for getting through whatever is affecting us today, is one of the greatest marvels of nature. We've survived 200,000 years of everything Mother Nature, our fellow humans, and history have thrown at us.

We'll make it through whatever it is we're dealing with here and now. That's what we do.

*****

Okay. I'll get off my soapbox now. And speaking dealing with the here and now, or at least the “what's gonna happen tonight” version of the here & now, don't forget that my attempt at trying to act like a responsible adult on TV airs live starting at 8 on Public TV 13. The optimistic way at which I'm looking at it—I'll be sharing the set with a judge and a lawyer, so no matter how bad I screw things up, at least I'll have legal advice close at hand.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment