Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Wednesday, 10/16

Wow. That was cold.

I went running yesterday morning, and I think it may have been the first time I’ve gone running in temperatures around freezing (and with a cold rain, to boot) since the last time temperatures were around freezing--you know, mid May. I don’t think my body was quite ready for the shock, and I spent the day sitting around work shivering and wondering if there’s a way I could turn up the heat in the station without anyone noticing.

That’s how cold I was.

Of course, part of the problem is self-inflicted. I went out to run wearing shorts, and although the sting of frigid air and cold rain hitting bare legs was, uhm, bracing at first, I thought they (my legs) would warm up as my body temperature itself warmed from the exercise. Shows what I know; my legs became frozen even as my core, draped in two shirts and a jacket, started to sweat.

Those of you who know me know that I often joke that as long as it’s above freezing it’s warm enough to wear shorts, and that’s especially true when you’re running in temperatures above freezing. But following my experience yesterday, I’m guessing there has to be a DRASTIC drop off in comfort from running in shorts when it’s, say, 35 degrees and raining, as opposed to running in shorts when it was 35 and not raining. I normally don’t notice the cold on my legs when it’s 35, but when it was 35 and raining yesterday, that was a whole ‘nother story. Maybe it was because my legs aren’t used to the cold yet; heck, when I go running in February and it’s 30 degrees I’ve often just run in shorts and a t-shirt. But yesterday when it was 35 degrees?

I probably couldn’t have been wearing enough layers of clothing, especially on my legs, to stay warm.

Hopefully, my body will adapt to its new, colder, surroundings soon. I mean, I probably won’t be going out running in shorts any time in the near future, but it would still be nice if my body acclimates to the cold (and the dark, and the rain, and the frigid wind) quickly. Either that, or the next time you come into the station you’ll see my sitting in the studio with 14 sweaters on, complaining that the campfire I’ve built in the corner isn’t big enough.

Ah, fall and the approach of winter. You gotta (sarcasm alert) love it.

(jim@wmqt.com), lover of warmth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment