Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday, 12/9

Okay. It happened again, and I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a big problem.

Those of you who've read this on an on-going basis know how there are three or four “Jims”--Radio Jim, History Jim, TV Jim, and, if we're being thorough, Finish Line Jim (which we're still deciding if it has full “Jim” value). Those of you who've read this on an on-going basis also know that one of the many things I would change about myself is the fact that I have the worst problem trying to remember people; namely, if I've met them before, and in which context I met them.

Seriously. I really wish I could be better at that. But I'm not, and that sucks.

Anyway, I had to go to the Post Office to mail a package for Loraine yesterday. While I was waiting in line, a couple said “hi” to me, a couple that I knew I had met before, but couldn't remember how. They then started talking about a program that I have coming up. That's when I do something I hardly do, and I froze for a second. I mean, what kind of program were they talking about? Radio program? Episode of “High School Bowl”? Program for the History Center?

In all honesty, I had no idea.

Thankfully, they mentioned something about getting an e-mail from the History Center, so I was able to figure out that I had met them when I was “History Jim”. It was touch & go there for a second, but I was able to hold a conversation without sounding like an insensitive, forgetful fool. I mean, you know that I actually a fool, and I know I actually am one, but the whole outside world doesn't need to know, right?

So I get out of the Post Office with my dignity intact. Then as I'm heading back to work and crossing Third Street, I hear a guy's voice call out, “Hey Jim, how's it going”? I turn to see a gentleman I know I've met before, but don't remember where. He then says that he'll see me next week, and goes on his way. I stand there, with a stupid look on my face (well, even more stupid than usual), wondering where I've met him and why I'll see him next week. There isn't anything out of the ordinary on my schedule for then, so I really don't know. I'm not doing anything for the History Center, so that part of me is clear. I am taping an two episodes of “High School Bowl” & also doing my other TV gig, so maybe it's that. And I have a couple of things going on in my radio life, so maybe I'm doing something with this vaguely familiar gentleman then.

I just have no idea.

This is really stupid. There is no earthly reason why I shouldn't be able to remember people and in what context I've met them, but for some stupid reason, my brain just won't do it. It's been happening most of my life, but I've always been able to compensate for it. Now, though, there are so many different “me”s doing so many different things that it's starting to be a real problem.

And, like I said, that's not a good thing.

So let me issue a blanket apology in advance. If you come up to me on the street, or at the Post Office, or in a TV studio, or at the History Center, or at the station, and it seems like I'm confused, there's a good chance that I am. I don't wanna be, but I probably will be. Hopefully, I'll figure it out quickly, but if not, just take pity on me. I'll get it eventually, and then I'll apologize in person.

Many, many, many times...

Have a great weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment