Thursday, July 28, 2022

Thursday, 7/28

It's time for my annual debate with myself. And this year, I might even change my mind.

You're actually part of this annual debate. You see, when I started hosting “High School Bowl” back in 2014 I put forth a question to everyone who reads this as to whether or not I should color my then slightly gray hair before starting the show. Almost everyone who responded said “no”, except for daily blog reader Darlene of Marquette who said, and I quote here, “I'm too young to have a son on TV with gray hair”.

Needless to say, my mom didn't get her way.

That, however, was eight years ago. In the 80 percent of a decade since then, my hair has gotten (understatement alert here) just a little lighter in color, something that becomes even more apparent during the summer when I'm out in the sun a lot and it turns my hair even lighter in color than its normal shade of almost-gray.

Hmm.

As I write this I'm not only two months away from the start of another year of “High School Bowl” but also two months away from another weekly, on-going TV project about which I can't say anything yet (but, needless to say, will require me being on camera in a whole new setting). And seeing as how my hair isn't getting any darker in shade these days I found myself in Walgreen's this past weekend looking at hair coloring.

You know...just in case.

I actually found one that sounds kind of cool, a color that pretty much matches my original dark brown hair with just a shade of purple in it. I don't think the purple would show up on camera much; that would just be a potential justification I could use to convince myself it's a good thing. I mean, sure—I'd have colored hair, but one of the colors would be purple.

And that would work, right?

At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to do. Go on camera with the hair that just keeps getting grayer and grayer? Color it and have people look at the screen going “did that dork do something with his hair”? I don't know. If I do do it it could be a commitment on which I'd need to follow through for however long I'm on TV. But if I don't do it, pretty soon I'll be on TV looking like an off-white beanpole who stuck a giant cotton ball on his head.

See why it's a debate as to what I should do?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment