Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Tuesday, 3/29

I'm assuming they thought I was okay.

For whatever reason, I haven't been officially told that they were even considering this, but one of the items on the agenda of the Marquette City Commission last night was to approve several new members of several city boards & advisory committees. One of those (potential) appointments was to the city's Harbor Advisory Committee, and that would be the appointment of, uhm, me.

Assuming, of course,members of the City Commission just didn't laugh so hard when they saw my name on the list that they forgot to actually vote on the matter.

Because, you know, I could actually see that happening.

How did this all come about? Well, as you may recall, at the beginning of the month my pal Jack & I did our “What's Up, Dock” show at the Ore Dock as a fundraiser for the Marquette Maritime Museum. Out of that show came a couple of things, one of which was an inquiry from a couple of community members wondering if I'd be willing to serve on the committee, which advises the City Commission on everything from marina use to lakeshore development. Almost everyone who's ever served on the committee has had a background in either boating or urban planning, and they figured that it might be nice to have someone with an historical perspective join them.

And since, thanks to “What's Up, Dock”, I seem to have this savant-like ability to name off every single dock, where it was, and when it was built, I guess that means I fit that qualification.

I filled out the application to serve, as asked, and heard nothing more about it until I was looking at a copy of the agenda of last night's meeting for a news story I was writing. There, in black & white (or, more precisely, gray & white, because it was a PDF copy) was the agenda item regarding the appointments of several people to different boards. It actually took me a second to realize what was going on, considering that when I filled out the form I had to use my “real” name and had no idea just who the heck the “James Koski” is who was mentioned on the agenda.

But I'm thinking that was probably me.

Hopefully, someone will actually let me know—officially--what's going on, and I can then start serving on the committee, hopefully providing good advice to the people in charge of Marquette's most valuable community resource—its lake shore.

It's a big step. I've never done anything like this before, and look forward to seeing what goes on and if there's anyway I can help. So here's my promise--I'll try not to screw it up.

Honest.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment