Monday, March 7, 2022

Monday, 3/7

Who knew the Whetstone has such a big fan club?

For those of you not in Marquette, the Whetstone Creek (or Brook, depending upon to whom you speak) is a little, three-mile long waterway that meanders throughout the city and empties into Lake Superior. Despite the fact that it's actually quite small, it's had an outsized impact upon the history of Marquette. That was the point that I made in the latest “Pieces of the Past” video. I just didn't think anyone else would care.

Boy, was I wrong.

I've now done close to 80 of these videos, and “Down the Whetstone” ranks among the top two or three in both likes and comments on social media. When I put it on the list of topics for this year, I had no idea it would get the response it did; I just wanted to tell a couple of stories. Well, for the generation older than me it seems to have brought back a TON of memories of their youth. For my generation (& younger) there seems to be a fair amount of astonishment that the US-41 bypass was actually built on top of something.

But then, that's why I do these videos. For some people, it's a trip down memory lane. For others, it's a chance to learn something. And for me, at least on occasion, it's a real eye opener when I discover what people react to.

Wanna check it out for yourself?



*****

Before I leave, I have to let you know that yesterday my favorite two-year old in the world became my favorite three year old in the world! It was my nephew Calum's birthday, and while I didn't get to spend any time with him on his big day we get to hang out later today at the UP Children's Museum.

So happy birthday Calum!



(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment