Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Wednesday, 11/18

 Apparently I'm swearing to myself in German quite a bit these days.

Actually, let me rephrase that a little. I'm not actually "swearing" so much as verbalizing the insanity of 2020.  And while I don't know a lot of German, among the phrases I do know are “Mein Gott” and the all-purpose German declarative “Scheisse”. Since, as I mentioned yesterday, I now work alone, every so often, either to keep my vocal chords limber or because I've forgotten to do something or,  as I said, to express general bemusement at the way the world is going, I'll let loose with one of those phrases.

If things are going really well I might even use both.

I don't know why I started doing it; after all, if I were going to swear in a foreign language you'd figure it would be French, right? But nope; for some strange reason, if I need to let loose with an epithet, it's in German. I don't know if there's something kind of guttural or ephemeral about German, but it just seems a little more satisfying to let loose in that language, especially the way it reverberates around an empty studio complex.

Yes, I need help. What's your point?

I suppose I could break it up a little. I suppose I could use Google Translate and see those phrases in different languages. For instance, I could shout out “mano dieve“ or "môj Bože“ or "tanrım “ if I wanted to use Lthuanian or Slovak or Azerbaijani, respectively. And I could replace "Scheisse“ with "bok“, "merda”, or “lapoa “ in Turkish, Portugese, or Samoan, should I feel like it.

If I wanted to.

I may have to put that on my list of things to do, which means that I'll be getting to it by, uhm, June of 2022. But until then, I still have the old German fallbacks upon which to fall back. I just wish I knew why I actually started doing it, just like I wish I knew how I do most things in my life these days.

Mein Gott!!!

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment