Friday, November 20, 2020

Friday, 11/20

 Sure...just one day after admitting I've been subverting the will of the voters I get a note that calls me “a friend of democracy”.

Oh boy.

8-)

Yesterday, I was joking about not being happy with “Kokomo” being named Upper Michigan's favorite Beach Boy song ever, and how I was going out of my way to try to get that overturned (not that that would EVER happen in real life). When the mail came to the station after I wrote the blog there was a thank you card in it from the League of Women Voters, who wanted to express their appreciation for the series of educational and “Get Out The Vote” announcements we ran prior to the election. And in it, they truly did say that I am “a friend of democracy”.

Do I feel like a heel now, or what?:

You see, I really am a friend of democracy. I believe each and every vote counts, that the people who run elections know what they're doing, and that if you lose, you should accept the results. Because, you know, that's how a representative democracy works. No matter how much you don't like the way it turned out, you just can't try to get rid of votes against you. You can't. That's not how it works. And I should not have done that with the vote of our listeners naming “Kokomo” as Upper Michigan's favorite Beach Boys song ever.

So here's my vow. From now on, I WILL play the liner I was talking about yesterday each time before the song airs. After all, as “a friend of democracy”, it's the right thing to do. The people have spoken. If I don't follow their wishes, I'm not better than any autocrat or dictator who's ever tried to rule unjustly.

So “Kokomo” it is. All “friends of democracy” can rest assured that their vote will count, now and forever.

(jim@wmqt.com), friend of democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment