Thursday, December 15, 2016

Thursday, 12/15

I was originally going to save them for a time when things get really bad, like late January. But after the past week or so, I think I’m gonna use them now.

Back in August, when Loraine and I were taking a lazy walk on a hot sunny day, we happened to find ourselves, like we often do, on Marquette’s streets and lakeshore bikes paths. There were all kinds of summer-type things out that afternoon, which prompted my (much) better half to suggest that I take pictures of a few of them, and then post the pictures one cold winter day, to remind people that better times are ahead. So I took the pictures, assuming that there would be a cold winter day on which to post them.

Little did I know that it would be in the middle of December.

I heard several people comment on the deluge of cold air this week, and not one of them had anything good to say about it. It feels like the past few days have been so bone-chattering and mind-numbingly cold that it's really not December. But, despite how it feels outside, it is. Christmas is still 10 days away. It just seems like Mother Nature’s front-loading her attack this year, throwing everything she can at us as early as she can to break whatever winter resolve we have (which, for some of us, admittedly isn’t much). If we’re this tired of winter now, what are we gonna be like in late January or early February, when things really get bad?

I don’t know about you, but I don’t even want to think about that!

So without further ado, here are a few of the pictures I took back in August, to ease your winter-addled mind and make you think of a time when you didn’t have to shovel or scrape, put mittens or scarves on, and could see a color other than white out of your window. . .



****



****




****

I particularly like the last one, but that's just me.

The next time you have to go out in the snow or the cold (or both), think of these pictures. Think of what it was like out the day I took them, and think of how not EVERY day in the U.P. has the conditions like the ones you’re facing today.

Hope they help. If this winter keeps coming at us non-stop, you’ll be seeing more of them in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment