Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Tuesday, 4/30

At T-minus one week and one day, I have my new European toy ready to go.

These days it seems you can't walk out the door without having a phone in your pocket. You use it for messages, for directions, to watch cat videos, and, on increasingly rare occasions, even to call someone. Unless you want to pay for it, when you're an American in Europe your phone doesn't work. There is, however, a simple way to get around that.

Get a phone (or a SIM card) that works in Europe.

When we were in Leipzig a year and a half ago I actually bought a German SIM card that, sadly, didn't work in the phone I had, one “locked” by my American carrier. So a couple of months ago I bought an unlocked phone, one into which you could insert any SIM card from any company and use it anywhere. A few days ago I took the new unlocked phone, inserted the SIM card with a German phone number, and within seconds was received a bunch of texts (in German) telling me (I think) that my phone was active and did I REALLY want to use up all my minutes and all my data in the US?

So I shut it off. But I now have a phone that works in Germany.

In all honesty, I don't know that I'll use my German phone number that much while we're there. It's mostly for emergencies, or if we have to call a hotel and tell them we'll be late, or to simply send my mom a text to let her know we made it to Germany safely (Moms are like that, you know). But it's ready to go and, depending upon where we end up in the future, is also ready to have any number of SIM cards from any number of countries ready to be inserted.

Technology really is a good thing, isn't it?

Eight more days!!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment