Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Tuesday, 4/9

 So...did you enjoy Eclipse Day yesterday?

As you may know, yesterday was the last total eclipse that'll hit Michigan until (I think) 2099, and it was supposed to be a big deal. Here in Marquette, while it wasn't a total eclipse, we were supposed to get 80% coverage, which is nothing to sneeze at. And for a while, we didn't think we'd get to see it--



Yup...clouds were more prevalent than anything else yesterday, although it wasn't as bad as originally forecast. At one time, we were supposed to be overrun with rain & thunderstorms during the time of totality. As it turns out, we just had mostly cloudy skies but, luckily, right before totality was supposed to hit, the skies cleared and took on a weird glow, and thanks to Leah, who works next door at Superior Health Foundation and loaned me her eclipse glasses. I was able to see a mere sliver of a sun as the city around me was cast in a strange light you don't normally see at 3:11 in the afternoon.

It was awesome.

It was a good thing, too, that skies cleared a bit, seeing as how the next one in Michigan won't occur for another 75 years, I'm guessing that if I ever do want to see another total solar eclipse outside of Michigan in my lifetime I may have to travel to do it.

Bummer.

Anyway, hope you were able to (indirectly) see and enjoy what went on yesterday. It doesn't happen very often, and when it does, you have to take advantage of it.

Unless, of course, you plan on being around to see the next one in 2099.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment