Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Tuesday, 3/23

 It's interesting how it's affecting different people in different ways.

Both Loraine and I, along with a bunch of people we know, have now received our first Covid-19 vaccine. And while we all had some kind of side effect, that side effect was incredibly different in everyone. I had a sore arm where I was injected for a few days. Loraine felt a little out of sorts for a night. Her co-workers had side effects ranging from not being able to lift an arm to having to spend an entire weekend in bed. And then I knew someone who said, and I quote, “Oh, that's right. I had a shot Thursday, didn't I?”

Different people, different ways.

I mean, it's a good thing we all had a reaction to it. That means the vaccine is working, because our bodies are adjusting to it and building up anti-bodies to the disease. But it just seems strange that every person has a different reaction to it. I mean, maybe I just don't know much about virology. Does every kid react differently to an MMR shot or does every adult react different to a tetanus booster? Because we don't get shots like that simultaneously we don't get the chance to compare notes, as we do here.

So for those of us who are weird and who look for patterns in things, it's kind of interesting. And yes, I know I need to get a life. What's your point?

8-)

I have a friend who's now gotten both shots, and she says she had a much worse reaction to the second than to the first. So now I'm kind of curious—when the group of us vaccinated in the past week gets our second jabs in three and a half weeks, will we have the disparate effects we had over the weekend? Will we all have the same reactions? Will we, en masse, have nothing?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Like I said, I know it's weird, and maybe it's just a strange psychological flaw in my personality that I'm curious about this stuff. But I find it interesting, and seeing as how (fingers crossed) we never have to go through anything like this ever again, I might as well take advantage of that strange curiosity while it's here, right?

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment