Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday, 3/11

 No, I wasn't kidding.

Yesterday's blog about my farting shoe seems to have piqued the curiosity of a few of you in a way I really didn't consider. I mentioned I wore the shoes because the snow's gone here in Marquette, and despite the notes I received wondering if I was insane, I wasn't kidding.

Don't believe me?



I took that yesterday, even before the rain we had melted whatever snow we had left. When I say that we've had a really mild winter this year, I'm not kidding. I know someone who keeps track of weather statistics in the city of Marquette, and this may be the first year in the 172 years Marquette has been Marquette that we won't have a storm that dumps over a foot of snow at one time (although, to be scientifically accurate, she's missing a dozen or so years from the mid and late 1800s, so that may not be 100% totally correct). Not only that, the National Weather Service office moved from downtown Marquette to the old airport location between Marquette and Negaunee sixty years ago. Because it's six miles west of and almost 1,000 feet higher than the city, they get a lot more snow that we do.

But for the first time in the sixty years since they moved, there hasn't even been 100 inches of snow out there yet. See? I'm not kidding about all of this!

When I went running this morning, though the lack of snow, I noticed the smell of fallen pine needles in Shiras Park for the first time since whatever snow we did have started to fall. Now that it's all gone, even Mother Nature is starting to get into the Spring frame of mind. That doesn't mean that we won't get more snow; that doesn't mean that the National Weather Service will get to that 100-inch mark. It just means that, despite everyone's incredulity, we've had a mild winter that, hopefully, will lead into a warm Spring and an even warmer Summer.

Then think how many minds will be blown.

(jim@wmqt.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment