Friday, March 5, 2021

Friday, 3/5

 Here we go...the conclusion to “Serendipity”.

(But if you haven't read yesterday's blog yet, do so. Don't worry. We'll wait for you).

Okay—everyone caught up now? The newspaper article on Billy Powers, the boy who went missing in 1944, was written on a Saturday afternoon. It was based on old news accounts and a story or two I've picked up over the years. Of course, with stories you're never quite sure if the details are right or not, but you gotta use what you have, I guess.

Like I said, the newspaper story was written on a Saturday and turned in. Three days later, the Tuesday after that, I was given access to some historical material from the Marquette Police Department for a project I'm doing. In that material? The complete police file on the case of Billy Powers, missing boy.

Three days after I wrote a newspaper article about Billy Power, missing boy.

I know it's just coincidence. I know it's just random chance. But the...serendipity of coming across the file, when I did and when I could use the material in it to make sure the info in the story was right, was, well, serendipitous (our made up word from yesterday). It was freaky, to put it bluntly.

I'll be using some of that material for the police project I'm doing, which will now include the story of Billy Powers in another medium. Because perhaps, just perhaps...

It was meant to be.

****

You know what else was meant to be? Me wishing my favorite one-year old in the world a welcome into being two tomorrow!



My nephew Calum is quite the interesting young man. He's into that stage where does his best Godzilla impression everywhere he goes. If I had more time, I would've put together a village of cardboard houses and let him stomp through it. Although, technically, his party isn't until tomorrow, so I guess I do still have a little time...

8-)

Have a great weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment