Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday, 3/25

 Once again, I seem to be below average. But this time it's in a good way.

I came across a statistic yesterday showing yet another way the insanity of the past year has affected us all. As it turns out, the average American gained two pounds for each and every month they've been under some kind of stay-at-home order. For those of us here in Michigan, that works out to an average gain of eight to ten pounds over the past twelve months, depending upon where in the state you live.

Of course, I've once again under-performed. I've only gained two pounds in the past year. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

I can certainly see why people have gained weight since the world changed. Between having your routines disrupted and all the stress in the air I'm actually surprised the average weight gain hasn't been more. But as I've written in here before, for some bizarre reason my life really hasn't been as disrupted as much as it has for some. I've done pretty much what I've normally done the past twelve months, and when you consider that I haven't been able to travel—and partake in all the eating that goes along with it—I'm actually surprised I haven't LOST weight.

The two extra pounds, though, might beg to differ.

I actually think I know where those two extra pounds have come from. As you know, I'm bound & determined to spend every single cent of the stimulus money I've received to actually stimulate the local economy. One of the hardest-hit sectors of that local economy is Marquette's restaurant scene, so a big chunk of the money I've spent has gone to a whole lot of to-go (or even dining-in) orders from many of the yummy places we have around here.

I'm pretty sure that's the origin of my two extra pounds. But you know what? It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

8-)

So I guess that while I'm below average, it's one of the few ways in which I probably don't mind. But if I do ever decide to change my mind on that, I know plenty of local restaurants that would be probably be glad to help!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment