Monday, October 29, 2018

Monday, 10/29


So, did you enjoy National Chocolate Day yesterday? You're not suffering from a chocolate hangover or anything, right?

Or is that just me?

Actually, I didn't eat any more than my usual share of chocolate yesterday, although I did spend a moment thinking about what may be my chocolate bar of all time. And it's from, of all places, Poland.

Seriously.

A couple of years ago Loraine and I (and Tony the Tour Guide) went into Poland for a few hours during a trip to Germany. One of the places we stopped was a grocery store, because we had to check out the Polish chocolate selection. We just had to. While there, Loraine bought and tried a white chocolate coffee bar that she fell in love with, and I like I mentioned, I off-handedly picked what I, in hindsight, consider the best bar I've ever tried--



This is an E. Wedel (and take a deep breath here) Czekolada Gorzka Wisniowa, which sounds kinda scary but which is actually a dark chocolate bar that holds both a creamy white filling AND little chunks of cherries within its dark chocolate goodness. It's like heaven on Earth, assuming, of course, heaven is made of chocolate.

It was amazing.

It took a little work, but I did end up finding out some information  about the company and the bar. As it turns out, E. Wedel was one of Poland’s first chocolate companies, and is still one of their most beloved. It started in the 1850s, and was quite popular up until the Germans invaded in 1939. The company refused to collaborate with the Nazis--even using their factory to hide people--so it was destroyed before the war’s end. The company rebuilt it in the late 40s, only to then see it nationalized by the Communist government. When the Wall fell in 1989, the family regained control of the factory, and over the past 25 years it’s been in the hands of Kraft and Cadbury, among other international chocolate companies.

Who knew?

I wish I had the foresight to buy more of Czekolada Gorzka Wisniowa bars while we were there; unfortunately, because Poland doesn’t use the Euro, we only had a limited amount of Zlotys with us that day, so we had to pick & choose carefully. If I knew then what I know now, I certainly would’ve brought more Zlotys with me; if I ever go back, I’ll certainly know to do that. And we're keeping our fingers crossed that when we go to Leipzig next year, they may sell them there. After all, the city's only a 100 or so kilometers from Poland, so you never know.

A boy can dream after all, right?

Wish me luck. And if you ever find yourself in Central Europe, you now know what to buy. And pick up a couple extra for me. I’ll be happy to pay you back!!



No comments:

Post a Comment