Monday, October 22, 2018

Monday, 10/22


Wow. I didn't know my phone had it in it.

In one way I'm very old-school. Unlike most people, when I take pictures, I prefer to use a camera instead of my phone. I know; consider me a technological Luddite, if you must. But just because you have the latest technology doesn't mean that it's the “best” technology for something. It just means it's the latest technology. And while phones can do a lot these days, they haven't yet, at least in my opinion, surpassed actual cameras as the best way of taking pictures. You can't get good depth of field or focus, and on many phone cameras, light can be an issue. That's why I inwardly cringe when I see people using their phones to document important moments in their lives.

And that's why I use a camera, a real camera, to do the same thing.

Don't be mistaken. I do use a phone camera. I don't use it often, and usually only when I need to document something at that moment or when I don't have another camera to do the job. I'd much prefer to use a real camera with a real lens and real controls. But if need be, I will whip out my phone and take a picture. Over the years, I've accumulated quite the collection on my phone, so I figured I should back them up, which I did over the weekend. And when looking through those backed-up pictures, I noticed two things. I noticed that the technical quality on a lot of them left something (or a lot) to be desired, especially indoors shots.

And I also noticed that my phone DID really take some nice pictures, especially outdoors.

Want a few examples?











Now, I will (probably) never ditch my real cameras to exclusively use a phone, no matter how much better the lenses or the processing chips get. Like I said before, you can capture stuff with a real camera that you just can't with a phone. Yet I probably won't be as hesitant to use my phone to get a shot when I don't have a camera, especially if the shots are well-lit and/or they're of a fleeting moment in time that can't ever be captured again...like some of the shots I noticed while looking through my phone pictures. After all, it's better to have a phone picture of something than no picture at all, right?

So there you go. Maybe I'm not as much of a technological Luddite as you thought!


(ps—Here's the link to the "15 Minutes” I did with Marquette city planner Dave Stensaas Friday. It's a dorktacular chat about zoning changes and outdated codes, with one interesting discovery on my part. Because of the fact that Marquette is running out of land on which to built, expect future growth to be up, instead of out, something that's become readily apparent here in downtown Marquette!)

No comments:

Post a Comment