Friday, October 12, 2018

Friday, 10/12


I wonder what the young girl on the bookmark would think?

Those of you who also follow along on the trip blogs I write () every time Loraine and I go to Europe know the story of my niece Mallory and her bookmark. But for those of you who don't, here it is—the first time I went over there Mallory was six at the time, and disappointed that she couldn't go with us. So I brought a bookmark she had given me a year earlier, a bookmark with the portrait of a 4-year old her on it, and took a picture of it in Germany, to show that she did “go” to Europe with us. I then brought it back the next time, and have done it ever since.

In fact, here's this year's version--



I bring this up because Sunday's a big day for Mallory. You see, Mallory's longer the 4-year old on the bookmark. Nope; Sunday, Mallory turns 21. I'm not quite sure how that happened; after all, it seems like she just turned 13 last week. But Sunday she becomes an “adult” adult, even if her mother doesn't want her to. It's been a big year for Mallory; she graduated from college, passed a bunch of certification tests for her chosen career field, and now gets to have a drink if she wants when we go out for her birthday Sunday.

I think the young girl on the bookmark would be amazed at what the older version of her has become.

Yet there's one thing that's remained constant about Mallory from the bookmark years to today. She was, and is, one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Right around the time the bookmark picture was taken, she and her mom drove me out to the airport to I could head down to Florida and see a space shuttle launch. Because 4-year old are, you know, 4-year olds, her mom bought her a package of two cookies to eat (and, presumably, to keep her occupied). Well, my dear niece Mallory insisted on saving one of them so she could share it with me, just one example of the thoughtfulness with which she lives her life. Over the years, we've been able to “work” together at the station, sample chocolate together, bake Christmas cookies together, and collaborate on a photographic project that's gone on for years.

You know the 4-year old Mallory. Here's the “today” version of her--



Sure, I'm her uncle, and sure, I'm supposed to be proud of her. But even if I wasn't related to her, and just knew her, I would still be aware of what an amazing young woman she has become. I'm serious about that. So happy birthday, Mallory. Congratulations on becoming an “adult” adult. And I can't wait to see what you accomplish in the next few years!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment