Monday, October 1, 2018

Monday, 10/01



The song is 36 years old. Why can't I get it out of my head?

You know how I said Friday I wasn't gonna do anything this weekend? Well, I tried not to. Unfortunately, my brain wouldn't cooperate. I have a weak mind. I'll admit to that any day of the week. So when someone requested a song Friday afternoon I shouldn't have been surprised that for the rest of the weekend I had Toto's “Rosanna” running through my mind on constant repeat.

Some days it's not easy being me.

I suppose I should grateful it was “Rosanna” and not some, say, Barry Manilow song stuck in my head, but that's not the point. I liked the song when it first came out, and I've enjoyed listening to it over the years, but it's now looping over and over and over and over in my head, I'm not so sure. And the weird thing is that it's not the same part of the song, which is now it usually happens. Nope; with “Rosanna” it's sometimes the interplay of synths and horns in the middle of the song, sometimes it's the guitar solo during the extended playout, and on occasion, it's even a one measure organ riff in the middle of the first and second verse.

That's how much it's been stuck in my head. I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a 36-year old organ note stuck in my head. To quote my friend Deanna, “just shoot me now”!

Except, of course, I don't want you to do that. While it would probably get that particular song out of my head, it would also remove ALL songs from my head, and I'm pretty sure I'm not quite ready for that yet.

It's my fault it's stuck in my head, after all. I had to answer the phone Friday. I had to play the request and the song that came from the phone call. And then while I was running Saturday morniing I might have—just might have, mind you—played it on my iPod. That was all that it took; since then, it's taken up residence in my head and it won't leave.

Lucky me, right? And now, let's conduct an experiment. Want it stuck in YOUR head?


(video)


No, that's okay. You can thank me later!


(And as an aside, here's a cool trivia fact about the video. The two dancers are Patrick Swayze and Cynthia Rhodes, working together for the first time five years before they were a couple in “Dirty Dancing”. See? My obsession was good for something, right?)


No comments:

Post a Comment