Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Wednesday, 4/4


Fifty years ago today, huh?

One of the very first things I remember in my life was an April evening at my parents' house on Norway Avenue in Marquette. I don't know why it sticks out so vividly in my memory, but it does. I was in the kitchen, and I think my mom was there. My dad came running up the stairs from the basement, where he was watching TV, and shouted out a line that's stayed with me ever since--

“Martin Luther King has been shot”.

Now, at the time, I didn't know why my dad came running up the stairs with the news. I had no idea who Martin Luther King was; after all, he wasn't an astronaut or a cast member on “Star Trek”, the only non-relatives I was aware of in the world.. But I remember feeling like he must've been someone important for my dad to come running up the stairs like that.

In the years to follow I would come to realize just how important he was.

If you've been reading these at all the past however many years I've been writing them, you know of my admiration for the man who was assassinated fifty years ago today. I've read his works, studied his philosophies in college, gone on pilgrimages to the important places in his journey, and tried to live my life according to the example he set. Like Dr. King himself, I haven't been perfect with that last one, but I do try.

I wonder how different things would've been in the past half century if he hadn't been killed on that early April evening. Near the end of his life he was finding it harder and harder to convince people, both black and white, of the reasons behind the movement he was trying to lead. Would he have been able to break through whatever wall he was hitting, and advance the fight for civil rights and against both income inequality and the Vietnam War, the two issues that were taking up most of his energy? Or would he have found a society growing resistant to the chance for which he advocating?

I don't have the answer to that. I've often thought that had he lived, he either would've retreated to back to the parish life that gave him his start, or he would've gone on to even greater heights. I'm probably not in a great deal of company here, but I've often thought that he was the greatest President the United States never had. If he had lived, maybe he would've been able to fight through the institutional barriers that were in his place, and change the country in ways that we're still debating about today. After all, one of my favorite King quotes (used by him by actually originating with someone else) is “The moral arc of the universe is long, but in the end it bends toward justice”. If he had lived, maybe he would've seen the arc bend in his lifetime.

It's just sad we'll never know.

Churches across the country will be ringing their bells just after 6 tonight, fifty years to the minute after he was assassinated. If you hear those bells ringing, think about how in that moment one man's life—and perhaps the destiny of a country—was forever changed.


No comments:

Post a Comment