Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Wednesday, 4/25


I just realized something. Three Dog Night helped make me the strange person I am today.

Okay; maybe that's oversimplifying it a bit. But let me share two different back-stories to explain why that thought popped into my head. First of all, the group is appearing at the Island Resort next weekend, so I've been hearing a lot of commercials for the show. Now only that, but in getting ready to feature the group next Friday on “Upper Michigan's Favorite Friday” I've been listening to a lot of their music recently. So to no one's surprise I've had Three Dog Night on the brain recently.

That's back-story number one.

Back-story number two is something I've written about in here once or twice. Every so often I get a song stuck in my head so much that I have to listen to it 20 or 30 times in a row. It's just one of those things. I don't know why; I just do. Every couple of months I'm so taken by a piece of new music that it burns itself into my brain and won't let go. A few months ago it was John Mayer's “Emoji of a Wave”. Currently it's Leon Bridges' “Bad Bad News”

That's back-story number two.

Here's where they come together. Until I started immersing myself in the world of Three Dog Night I had totally forgotten that the first album I ever had was the group's “Naturally”. I was given the cassette of it for Christmas one year when I was, I dunno, seven or eight years old. I was given it as a gift because I really liked one song on the cassette, and it wasn't until I started getting ready for the group's appearance here that I realized that particular gift resulted in my weird habit of listening to a song over and over and over again. Because, you see, when I was given the cassette copy of the album, I would slip it into the little cassette player I had at the time and would listen to the song “Joy to the World” over and over and over again.

See? I did it when I was a little kid, and I'm still doing it as a not so little kid. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Don't worry; I don't hold Three Dog Night personally responsible for my life-long habit. I'm sure there were other extenuating circumstances. I just find it interesting that I've been doing it for so long and yet didn't remember where and when it all started.

But thanks to the group's upcoming appearance in the U.P., I now know for sure. So thanks, Three Dog Night!

8-)


(ps—the song that I'm currently listening to over and over and over? Well, it's slightly different than
“Joy to the World. Check it out for yourself!)


No comments:

Post a Comment