Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Wednesday, 4/18


Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

If you've been reading these you know it's been a rough few days thanks to the weather. Among the things I haven't even complained about was a power outage at the station that fried one of our computer networks. I was working on trying to fix it when someone came into the station. Because I was busy I didn't get a chance to speak with that person, but when they left one of my co-workers came into the studio in which I was working and gave me a package, which had been dropped off by that visitor.

Here's what they left for me--



And with that hand-carved spoon was a hand-written note, which read like this--

“Dear Jim—For years you have shared your talents to make the community better. I very much appreciate hearing my name and those of my family and friends as we come across finish lines. I made this spoon as a way to say 'thank you'. It's is spalted birch from a tree that the BLP cut down on the side of the Noque Trail”.

Wow. I was floored when I read the note. I was even more gobsmacked when I looked at the spoon. Here was a gift from someone I don't think I've ever met, someone who skis the Noque and rides the Ore-To-Shore. And that someone thought enough of me babbling out a stream of names to take a part of a tree from the trails on which those races are run, form a work of art out of it, and give it to me in appreciation for, you know, babbling out a stream of names.

I'm not worthy.

I'm often amazed at just how incredible the people who live around Marquette can be, and this is yet just another example. I didn't do anything I thought was out of the ordinary. I just did what I do. But someone thought enough of me doing that to craft a work of art and to give it to me in appreciation. I announce the races because they're fun, and because they're a big part of what makes Marquette Marquette. I don't expect anything for doing them. I'm just doing my little bit, at least as far as my limited skill set goes. So to receive a gift like this just, you know, blows my mind.

I was able to get in touch with the person who left the gift and thank him properly. He said he was just happy to show his thanks, which was in no way required but which is still massively appreciated. So if you've ever wondered where the greatest people on the face of the earth live, I have your first nominee.

And the wooden spoon to prove it.,


No comments:

Post a Comment