Monday, September 14, 2026

Monday, 9/14

If you're ever wonder why I'm doing something weird, just blame Stevie Wonder. He's probably the reason.

I received an e-mail Friday afternoon from someone I don't know, but who obviously knows who I am. The e-mail said, and I'm quoting here, “Jim—I saw you our for a run this morning and it looked like you have either have a very unique running style or you were air drumming . Which one is it”? Well, I can state without fear of being wrong that I don't have a very unique running style.

However, I kinda have to plead guilty to air drumming, just because...well, just because. I have no other explanation other than that.

After reading the e-mail I thought back to the early morning run through downtown, down Pine Street, and then back up the lakeshore bike path. While I couldn't tell this person exactly to which song I was air-drumming, I have a pretty good idea, if only because I listened to the song (ahem) five times in a row.

But then, Stevie Wonder's “Sir Duke” will do that to a person.

It's funny; I haven't listened to “Sir Duke” for a while now. But it stuck in my head because we're coming up on the 50th anniversary of “Songs in the Key of Life”, the classic album from which it came, and I was reading an article about it. Now if I'm being honest, I much prefer the other number one song from that disc, “I Wish”, but something in my brain told me to listen to “Sir Duke”, and once I listened to it I couldn't stop.

Much like, apparently, I couldn't stop air drumming to it while I ran.

Part of the joy of being me is that pretty much everything I do in public is noticed by someone, whether I want it to be or not. Thankfully, I don't do anything so bad that it would land me in jail, but I do seem to have a propensity for getting caught doing goofy things, like air drumming But you can't blame me for this one.

After all, it's all Stevie Wonder's fault.

8-)



(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment