Okay...my eyes can stop watering any day now.
When I was young I used to suffer from rather severe hay fever twice a year (spring & fall). But one of the few good things about getting older, I've discovered, is that allergy problems, at least for me, have fallen way off. I no longer have any sort of problems each Spring, and for the past few Autumns I haven't noticed anything happening at all.
And then there's this Fall. For the past week or so, my eyes have been watering like a fire hydrant left on during a hot Summer's day. And also for the past week or so, I've had a non-stop low-grade headache centered right behind my eyeballs. My nose hasn't in any way been stuffy, but several days this week you could actually hear all kinds of roughness in my voice. In total it's not quite as bad as what I suffered through as a younger person, but it's not that far off, either.
I have no idea why it's hit me with a vengeance this year. I don't know if it's the fact I was downstate around farm fields for a few days or if the (and I say this generously) weird weather we've had this year kick-started something in my head that's been laying dormant for a couple of decades now. All I can say is...
IT CAN STOP NOW!
I really hope that it's just an anomaly brought on by travel. I really hope that our increasingly screwed up climate hasn't caused my annual bouts of hay fever to return. But I always travel somewhere—Reese, Chicago, or Europe--during this time of the year and have not have the allergy problems that I do right now. So if the problems HAVE been caused by the weather, let's hope they've just been caused by our weird weather year, and not by our increasingly weird weather patterns.
After all, I suffered enough when I was young. I'd really dislike having to do it again. So if you see me walking down the street in the next few days with tears running down my face, realize that I'm not weeping in joy at seeing you (although I suppose i COULD be weeping in joy, at least inside). It's just my stupid sinuses getting their revenge for some inexplicable reason.
******
One more note before I go...I need to wish a happy anniversary to the two people without whom I wouldn't be here! It's my parents anniversary, so if you see either Dar or Chicky-Poo, make sure you wish 'em a happy day, because they sure do deserve it!
Love to them both,
No comments:
Post a Comment