Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Wednesday, 7/12

It's almost like my dad was more famous for these that was I. And that's kinda cool.

Tonight's the night the big Jim Koski ™ "Burn Baby Burn: The Infernos of Downtown Marquette" walking tour takes place for the Marquette Regional History Center. The weather looks like it'll be okay, the crowd sounds like it'll be huge, and all systems are go.

And that includes the sound system for the tour, as well.

For the last couple of years we've been using a big speaker on wheels that pumps out enough sound so that several hundred people can hear it on streets where individuals are talking, motorcycles are roaring their engines, and the occasional fire truck or police car goes speeding by. It wasn't always like that; before the History Center picked up the new system we just had a microphone and a little speaker that was held aloft--for the entire length of the tour--by someone who did not start out to become a History Center volunteer but, through the goodness of his heart, ending up being one, at least on the tours--

My dad.

In fact, my dad became part of the fabric of the tours. I'd make sure everyone gave him a big round of applause at the end, and before each tour I'd actually have a person or two ask if he would once again be lofting the speaker over his head.

That's how famous my dad and his speaker became.

Since the History Center picked up the new system his speaker holding skills haven't been used, but in the time he did it he made such an impression that even as of last week, when I was pushing the tour on Facebook, we were still getting comments like this--



It actually strikes me as hilarious--people may not remember everything I've said on a tour, but they DO remember Chicky-Poo holding up the speaker and, from the sounds of it, actually miss him doing so.

THAT'S the kind of impression I hope to leave on people some day.

So if you're on the tour tonight, I hope the stories I tell will be suffice. And if he's there I will, just for old times' sake, point out my dad, with a speaker not perched on his head. Hopefully, people will recognize him without it.

Thanks for ALL your help over the years, dad!!!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment